In this Cityline segment, Frank gives us some tips for flowers that last at the cottage during the week (or flowers at home while you are at the cottage).
- Add punches of colour with these bright and colourful containers from Terra Greenhouses.
- Look for large containers that have a larger soil capacity.
- Self watering containers are great as they have a reservoir to hold water for a few days
- Use moisture control potting soil like the one featured by Miracle Gro.
- Add a slow release fertilizer to feed your plants all season long.
Look for drought tolerant plants that don't need constant watering including these:
- Classic Palm - Adds a tropical feel. Keep away from windy areas or areas where deer can eat them. Thorny plants are usually deer resistant.
- Look for plants with waxy or glossy leaves, they tend to be drought tolerant, as well as those with tuber roots.
- A great foliage plant for shade is the Kong Mosaic coleus.
- For full sun, a very drought tolerant annual with daytime sensitive flowers (they are in bloom in the sun only) is purslane
- The classic geranium - a hardy plant indeed!