Frankie Flowers Top 5 Garden Trends for 2012:
There is no way we can see into the future however there are many ways to predict what could happen. Being a weather forecaster on CityTV I predict weather every day but while I’m wild about weather I’m passionate about plants and here are my predictions for trends in Gardening 2012.
1. Growing Your Own: The urge to eat what you grow will continue to gain popularity in 2012. From tomatoes to potatoes, basil to broccoli and spinach to squash people will look for ways to maximize their outdoor space by growing their own and filling their tummies!! What’s fueling this popularity is North America’s movement to live Local and the popularity of cooking combine with the growth of the celebrity Chef like Jamie Oliver.
2. Community Gardens: A community that grows together stays together. Programs like Food Share (foodshare.net) and Toronto Community Garden Network (www.tcgn.ca) are just a few examples of how both urban and suburban communities are working together to create spaces where people with limited space can grow and share what they grow.
3. No Space – No Problem: With almost 50% of all residential real estate sales in Ontario involving the purchase of condo’s or linked homes property sizes are shrinking. Solutions to garden in pots and on walls are not only gaining popularity but are become a reality of future gardeners to come. (http://www.ahamodernliving.com/blog/tag/small-space-gardening/)
4. Outdoor Living: The extension of home living into outdoor living is continues to bloom in 2012. From young to old people love to use their outdoor spaces for than just gardening and cutting the lawn. 2012 will see more outdoor solutions for entertaining, cooking and relaxing!!
5. Inner Gardening: Living green in a concrete world is a quest for many in 2012 because of this the search for easy indoor plants and unique solutions to growing plants indoors and limited spaces will sprout to the top in 2012!!!
For a full listing of garden trends from those who focus on the industry of gardening go to http://www.gardencentermagazine.com/garden-media-2012-trends.aspx