Grow, Eat, Live Outdoors – Your Garden Expert

Protect your Pets

Harmful Houseplants for Pets:  

Plants have numerous benefits but they can also pose harm to our pets.  Several popular houseplants can be toxic to both dogs and cats.  You need to understand plants have a good reason to be toxic, in their natural habits the toxins found within plants help protect them against being eaten.  Popular houseplants that could be harmful to both cats and dogs include Jade plants consuming just a few leaves can cause vomiting and depression, eating a pothos leaf results in difficulties with swallowing and vomiting, and one of the most harmful are the beautiful lilies, including popular varities like stargazer and Easter lilies, if your dog or cat decides to eat any part of a lily it could be tragic.  Houseplants your best bet is if you have a dog or cat that likes to eat them put the plants well out of harm’s way.  

Additional Info:  

JADE:  

Jade plant aka Chinese rubber plant is toxic to both cats and dogs. The toxic property in this plant is unknown, but ingestion can cause vomiting, depression, ataxia (incoordination) and bradycardia (slow heart rate; this is rare).

Pothos: 

Satin pothos toxic to dogs and cats. Consumption of foliage may irritate the mouth, lips and tongue. The pet may also experience increased salivation, vomiting and/or difficulty swallowing.

Asiatic Lilies

Be aware!  Asiatic Lilies are toxic to cats, and some are toxic to dogs.  First reaction to this plant includes vomiting, lethargy and lack of appetite, but kidney failure and even death can quickly follow if a cat is untreated. The peace lily (also known as Mauna Loa) is toxic to both dogs and cats. Ingestion of the peace lily or calla lily can cause irritation of the tongue and lips, increased salivation, difficulty swallowing and vomiting.

Dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia aka dumb cane is toxic to dogs and cats. Dieffenbachia contains a chemical that is a poisonous deterrent to animals. If the plant is ingested, oral irritation can occur, especially on the tongue and lips. This irritation can lead to increased salivation, difficulty swallowing and vomiting.

Corn Plant

Corn plant aka dracaena is toxic to dogs and cats. Saponin is the chemical compound found within it's leaves and stems. If the plant is ingested, vomiting (with or without blood), appetite loss, depression and/or increased salivation can occur. Affected cats may also have dilated pupils.

 

If you pet consumes any of the above call your Vet!  When purchasing a houseplant, insure you know it's name and find out any and all toxic attributes.  

Be safe and enjoy the wonderful world of plants!

 

Frankie