Frankie Flowers teaches us about the best and easiest herbs to grow at home.
Frank's Top Five Herbs to Grow at Home:
1. Parsley (Italian not curly)
More tips for growing herbs:
- Herbs need full sun to grow, although Parsley can take a bit of shade.
- When choosing a pot to grow your herbs in, bigger is better. When you have a large pot, it has more soil which means less watering. Small pots dry out too fast.
- Make sure to harvest your herbs before they flower - Use them or lose them. To harvest you can cut with scissors or pinch back.
- Do NOT plant mint in the ground- keep it in a container. Mint is a perennial plant and will spread very quickly. Other perennial herbs include lemon thyme and oregano.
- Rosemary grows as a shrub/tree in the Mediterranean, and prefers dry air. Too much moisture can cause powdery mildew.
- Water your herbs properly - don't water from above - the wet leaves leads to disease. Herbs are adapted to dry climates, so allow to dry in between watering.